Getting Started with Research
Whether it is your own research idea,or you would like to get involved with a faculty member's research,you will need to connect with a faculty member and then apply for the viwn德赢FURI program.If you are looking for ideas,start with theresearch 德赢体育滚球opportunities,where faculty promote 德赢体育滚球opportunities to work in their labs. You can also review priorviwn德赢FURI Symposium Abstract Booksto see which faculty have worked with students in the past.
You can also review ourresearch resourcesand review each School's research website to review faculty research projects,as well as research centers.
Undergraduate studentsin the Ira A.Fulton Schools of Engineering can be funded in viwn德赢FURI,the beginning of their second semester of attendance at ASU until their last semester. The viwn德赢FURI program operates during summer,fall,and spring semesters. Students are eligible for two semesters of funding.All applicants must be undergraduate students in the Ira A.Fulton Schools of Engineering and in good academic standing (i.e.not on academic probation) to be eligible for viwn德赢FURI.Online students are also welcome to apply!
Faculty mentorsmust be faculty in the Ira A.Fulton Schools of Engineering.They also must not be on sabbatical,on leave,or on vacation during the majority of the viwn德赢FURI mentoring time period.Graduate students may not serve as viwn德赢FURI faculty mentors.
Proposals are accepted in March and in October.Students applying in March are eligible to apply for summer,summer and fall,fall and spring semesters,or fall semester funding.Students applying in October are eligible to apply for spring funding.
- Student stipend:Students must complete all the viwn德赢FURI requirements and perform to their mentor's satisfaction in order to receive their stipend. If they perform accordingly,they will be paid a stipend of $1,500 during their funded semester(s),which will be disbursed at the end of the semester.
- Research budget:Participants are eligible to apply for up to $400 in research supplies per funded semester.
- Faculty mentor payment:If the student meets the expectations listed above,their faculty mentor will receive a $500 payment at the end of the semester.
- Funding beyond viwn德赢FURI:Students are encouraged to work with their faculty mentor to discuss continued funding from the faculty member's grants or other sources.
Funded students will be expected to:
- Commit to working the entire funded semester(s) on the research project,which is typically between 10-15 hours per week,depending on the mentor's expectations.
- Regularly meet with their Ira A.Fulton Schools of Engineering faculty mentor.
- Maintain good academic standing throughout the program,i.e.not be on academic probation.
- If provided with a budget,spend it per the specifications provided by the appropriate business office.
- Submit the following deliverables by their deadlines;details and deadlines will be announced to students at the beginning of their funded semester(s):
- Review the program guide and complete a survey to ensure they understand the program
- Submit a one-page,double-spaced mid-semester summary
- Submit a two-page,double-spaced end-of-semester summary
- Submit a 50-100 word research abstract
- Get their free professional headshot taken by the Fulton photographer
- Submit a research poster
- Complete two professional development activities
- Present in the semi-annualresearch symposium
- Complete a program evaluation at the end of the semester
Failure to fulfill these requirements may result in the loss of funding.